2015 PHISCC Workshop: HI Surveys Get Real
March 16-18, 2015
Rutgers, The State University of New
In order to elicit fresh perspectives and set the stage for
a well-balanced program, the SOC has developed a "wish list" of twelve
talk topics that we would like to see addressed at the meeting. This
list is appended below. You are free to propose to give a talk on a
topic from this list or give a contributed talk or poster on a topic
of your choice (as space permits). This format follows the template
used by several previous North American ALMA Science Center workshops:
the SOC will invite a small number of speakers, and then select from
those who volunteer to give "wish list" talks or propose their own
topics. "Wish list" talks will be longer than other contributed talks,
- What is the effective bias of the HI density field
relative to the distributions of galaxies and dark matter?
- How do we expect HI gas mass to vary with a galaxy's redshift,
environment, and/or assembly history?
- Can HI observations usefully constrain models of how galaxies grow
in mass (e.g., via major mergers or cold mode accretion)?
- What HI observable(s) will best constrain models of the baryon cycle of
galactic inflows and outflows?
- How can we use HI surveys to improve our understanding of the multiphase
ISM of galaxies?
- What are the best current strategies for dealing with radio frequency
- What are the main algorithmic challenges for calibrating and imaging
large HI datasets?
- What is the most overlooked/underappreciated challenge for software
development faced by large HI surveys (archiving, source-finding,
source-fitting, or something else?), and why?
- How realistic can (and/or should) a simulated pathfinder HI dataset be?
- How can HI intensity mapping (baryon acoustic oscillation) experiments
make best use of the results of traditional HI surveys, and vice versa?
- What are the prospects for synergy between HI surveys and blind surveys
of other ISM tracers (e.g., dust continuum and CO line emission)?
- What are the prospects for synergy between HI surveys and surveys with
LSST, WFIRST, Euclid, and other optical facilities?
Last updated March 14, 2015.